10.0 bsdlabel returns an error

Bertram Scharpf lists at bertram-scharpf.de
Wed Jun 25 12:58:35 UTC 2014

Hi,

I tried to find out how large the partitions on my main hard disk
are. But then:

  # bsdlabel ada0s2
  bsdlabel: /dev/ada0s2 read: Invalid argument
  # bsdlabel ada0s3
  bsdlabel: /dev/ada0s3 read: Invalid argument
  # uname -rs
  FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE
  # mount | grep ada0s2 | wc -l
         0

I remembered that I solved an earlier label issue on an other
machine by booting 9.2 from a USB stick. This helped me here, too.

Still, I want to know why the 10.0 "bsdlabel" doesn't work.

By the way, the problem doesn't occur on the USB drive.
Here's the entries of both hard disks in "dmesg":

  ada0 at ahcich1 bus 0 scbus3 target 0 lun 0
  da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus9 target 0 lun 0

How can I at least debug this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Bertram

--