server funding

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Wed Jun 25 02:59:18 UTC 2014

On 25/06/2014 03:12, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
> On 6/24/2014 1:33 PM, Jungle Boogie wrote:

>>> to this end, I am looking for:
>>> 1) A grant, fund or similar that would allow me to purchase 1
>>> (possibly 2)
>>> servers that could be used for this task. They don't have to be
>>> incredibly
>>> high end servers, but I do foresee a lot of compilation happening, so
>>> something with the processing power to sustain that would be great.
>>> 2) A company or individual who has something extra they wouldn't mind
>>> putting
>>> up for the cause; I would greatly appreciate that as well.
>> Where would you put the servers and how would they get internet
>> access? Or do
>> you mean you want someone to donate 2 servers, some power, and some
>> internet?
>>
> One server would be plenty, but yes. Someone who has a spare rack server
> available could probably do something like this and just donate
> colo+hardware.
>  Thanks all for the time,
>
>> Best of luck!

Have you considered the cloud? You can start an AWS account and use 750
hours a month for 12 months of a micro instance (that's 1-CPU) to get
everything up and running.

Once it's running and you get people using it you move to bigger machine
and pay monthly for it. As you expand you start your server with bigger
resource allocations or start multiple instances.

You can find FreeBSD images for AWS at
http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-on-ec2/