How do I build my own package server?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Jun 24 19:06:44 UTC 2014

Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> writes:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 20:25:52 +0200, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
>> It's just that I am used to grep directories and that I learned to read
>> the "+CONTENTS" files. I like to open files in an editor; this is what I
>> always liked UNIX for.
>
> In this case, a new "layer" would be needed that dumps
> DB query results to text files. It shouldn't be hard
> to implement those.

We already have that, in the form of "pkg info". Under the old system,
pkg_info did the same. It might not be exactly the format everyone
wants, but it looks like it provides all the information that the old
system held anyway, and then some.

>> Besides that, SQLite is not part of the base system but a port/package
>> itself.
>
> Well, pkg itself also is. :-)
>
> Maybe in the future we will see parts of the new package
> installation infrastructure and source maintenance tools
> become part of the base system. Luckily the current ports
> for those functionalities don't pull in thousands of
> dependencies, so in my opinion the current approach of
> having "stubs" in the OS and the "real" programs in ports
> is acceptable (of course with the option of having them
> available in the "offline" installation media as well,
> comparable to how documentation is handled today).

The idea of putting it in ports is that it's really more tightly tied to
the ports infrastructure than to the base system. The most useful result
is that maintaining compatibility with different versions of the base
system is much easier.