binary upgrade of a remote box

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Mon Jun 23 07:42:24 UTC 2014

Gregory Orange wrote:

> > I am very uncomfortable with "freebsd-update upgrade", at least it's
> > not something I would risk remotely.
>
> whereas I do this regularly. I use 'freebsd-update cron' every night for
> update checks, and have recently embarked on upgrading a fleet of 8.3
> machines to 8.4 using 'freebsd-update -r 8.4-RELEASE upgrade', with
> flawless results so far.

fear, Fear, FEAR!!!

I often use a custom kernel, and there are so many precautions and
quirks in the Handbook about 'freebsd-update upgrade' and custom
kernels, that I get really afraid.

I'll go test it in a lab, with console access, maybe it's not as
horrible as it's painted.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru