vmware-cmd

Olivier Nicole Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Fri Jun 20 07:03:48 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how vmware-cmd works.

But first of all, what I want to do is update the user management tool I
have to remove possible VMware virtual machines associated to one student
when that student leaves the university: some student are granted VMware
virtual machines, at the end of their studies, their account get
automatically eleted, but I have to manually proceed to backup and
delete the virtual machines.

I have installed the port net/vmware-vsphere-cli and I am trying to
figure how it works.

1) Can it be used to export an OVF template from a virtual machine?

   If not, the rest is meaning less.

2) When I run "vmware-cmd -H myESXi.host.example.com -l" I receive in
   stderr something like:

SOAP request error - possibly a protocol issue: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
<soapenv:Body>
<RetrievePropertiesResponse xmlns="urn:vim25"><returnval><obj
type="VirtualMachine">10</obj><propSet><name>availableField</name><val
xsi:type="ArrayOfCustomFieldDef"></val></propSet><propSet><name>capability</name><val
xsi:type="VirtualMachineCapability">

   and the result is truncated. I cannot manage to have vmware-cmd give
   me a simple list of the virtual machines. Where should I look at?

TIA,

Olivier