Updating my /usr/src tree with SVN?

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Wed Jun 18 06:21:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 23:03-0700, Chris Maness wrote:

> I am trying to update to 9.0, and ran into the surprise that CVS is
> not supported for that version.
>
> This site only seems to give a description of updating ports with SVN,
> and only hints at checkout/update the src tree.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/svn.html#svn-mirrors
>
> Could post the current command to update the source three?  I much
> prefer using mergemaster than vi to merge my files.  The binary update
> seems to force me to merge files by hand.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

You need a working Subversion client, preferably version 1.8.9.

Depending on what you need, you could:

1. Set aside the current /usr/src:

mv /usr/src /usr/src.old

2. Checkout the stable/9 source tree:

svn co https://svn0.us-west.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 /usr/src

Or, you might want to stick to 9.2-RELEASE + bug fixes:

svn co https://svn0.us-west.freebsd.org/base/releng/9.2 /usr/src

3. Migrate any files you need from the old source tree, typically
kernel configuration files, and/or local patches, if any.

4. Eradicate the old source tree:

rm -R /usr/src.old

5. Keep the source tree up to date by running:

svn up /usr/src

===

Similar steps could be performed for the ports tree:

mv /usr/ports /usr/ports.old

svn co https://svn0.us-west.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports

mv /usr/ports.old/distfiles /usr/ports

mv /usr/ports.old/packages /usr/ports

rm -R /usr/ports.old

svn up /usr/ports

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |