Weird behavior with user creation

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Tue Jun 10 02:17:52 UTC 2014

I tried to create a user in the usual way (I've deliberately changed the
real username):

# pw useradd testing -m -s /usr/local/bin/bash
# pw: user 'testing' disappeared during update

If I grep /etc/passwd, the user is there:

# grep testing /etc/passwd
testing:*:1009:1009:User &:/home/vembu:/usr/local/bin/bash

Same for /etc/group:
# grep testing /etc/group
testing:*:1009:

But his home directory didn't get created.  And even weirder, when I try to
set his password, the system says he doesn't exist:

# passwd testing
passwd: testing: no such user

If I run pwd_mkdb to check the file, it seems that it's corrupted somehow:

pwd_mkdb -C /etc/pwd.db
pwd_mkdb: line #1 too long
pwd_mkdb: /etc/pwd.db: Inappropriate file type or format

It's the same for spwd.db:

# pwd_mkdb -C /etc/spwd.db
pwd_mkdb: line #1 too long
pwd_mkdb: /etc/spwd.db: Inappropriate file type or format

spwd and pwd are different.

# diff /etc/spwd.db /etc/pwd.db
Files /etc/spwd.db and /etc/pwd.db differ

What happened?  More importantly, how do I fix it?  My password and the
root password both work fine, so I don't want to screw those up.

System is 8.4 RELEASE, just upgraded.

Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst