Patches for BOOTP/DHCP code to support Windows Server DHCP

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sun Jun 1 21:19:06 UTC 2014

John Howie wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> That is an excellent point and a good debate to have.
>
> I have not looked in detail at how PXEBOOT does it, but I think a
> clean up of the code to somehow pass arguments to the kernel is
> preferable to having a diskless client send a slew of needless
> requests to the DHCP server to request information already requested
> and obtained in previous stages of the boot process. The number of
> DHCP requests made by a client when using U-Boot and ubldr is
> dizzying. The NFS code will look to see if the boot loader
> configuration file has specified the root filesystem through use of
> vfs.root.mountfrom, so something should be possible.

Well, pxeboot uses a standalone nfs client to do all the things that
sys/nfs/bootp_subr.c does. I bothered to add NFSv3 to this stand alone
nfs client, but there is no way I will be doing NFSv4 for it.
(Although I don't see much use for an NFSv4 root fs, a couple of people
 have already asked about it. To do it, modifying the NFSv4 kernel client
 code to use the stuff in bootp_subr.c is definitely the way to go.)

I have no intention of removing the pxeboot stuff, but I do suspect many
would be surprised to see they are still using NFSv2 (with a performance
penalty) for the diskless root fs over pxeboot. (If you have a pxeboot
built from sources post-r212125 Sep. 2010, it can use NFSv3, but I think
you have to specify the "nfsv3" option in the line for "/" in the /etc/fstab
in the rootfs being exported to the client.)

Btw, if you are running a fairly recent system with a diskless NFS root fs,
you might want to type "nfsstat -m" to see what it is actually using for the
root fs.

It is mainly the difficulties w.r.t. maintaining lib/libstand/nfs.c which makes
sys/nfs/bootp_subr.c preferable from my point of view.

Anyhow, have fun with it, rick