FreeBS(s)D

Paul Kraus paul at kraus-haus.org
Thu Jul 31 15:01:24 UTC 2014

On Jul 31, 2014, at 10:49, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2014, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
>
>>  Can you tell me if I can use SSD media to run FreeBSD on and which
>>  brands are most BSD compliant?
>
> I've used Plextor, Samsung, and Toshiba with FreeBSD, preferring the Marvell controllers.

Good point Warren. The controllers matter (not just for the SSD but for ZFS as well). You want plain AHCI controllers for ZFS, you do NOT want RAID controllers. I have been very happy with the Marvell chipset based controllers. I have also used the LSI 2208 on SuperMicro motherboards, but they are more of a pain to configure the way I need them.

--
Paul Kraus
paul at kraus-haus.org