Switching to newer version of Clang

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jul 31 02:08:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:01:07 -0500, Brian Wood wrote:
> I did a make install in
>
> /usr/ports/devel/llvm34
>
> After it finished
>
> clang -v
>
> still says 3.3.  Do I have to reboot or try something
> different?  Thanks.

Which OS version are you using?

If I remember correctly, on v10 clang has replaced the
classic GCC toolset. That's why

	$ which clang

will probably tell you that your above command has called
the system's clang which didn't change. The installed port
now provides a _second_ clang binary at a different path,
probably somewhere in /usr/local, and maybe the binary has
a version suffix (similar to gcc from ports). What does

	$ which clang3.4

report? Just check the installed files for the llvm port,
you'll quickly find the correct name of the clang binary.

I don't have a v10 system to access at the monent, so I
cannot check, sorry; still on v8.2 at home, no clang. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany