Problem booting

Brian Wood woodbrian77 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 01:51:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 03:25:52PM -0500, Brian Wood wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure how to edit that file.  I can get to grub prompt but
> > don't know if that is where I should be to edit it.  I believe I'm on
> > 10-Stable and amd64 also.
>
> Boot from a FreeBSD USB stick or a CD-ROM that contains a live-CD image.
> (e.g. FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso or
> FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img)
>
> Once you get to the main menu of the installer, choose the “Live CD”
> option.
> Mount the partition where /boot resides. Then you can edit the file.

Just to be clear I'm using PCBSD 10  "Joule".  I put the dvd in and got to
an emergency shell.  There I could edit /boot/device.hints but not save it
because it was on a read-only file system.  (Maybe that was on the dvd.)

I tried mounting some things listed under /dev  but that didn't work.
I'm not sure what partition /boot is on.