FreeBSD 10

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Mon Jul 28 23:32:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 12:00:41 +0200
Jos Chrispijn <kernel at webrz.net> wrote:

>    Would it be a good idea to use BSD 10 Stable in a commercial
>    environment or should I sitck to BSD 9.3 Stable for two years?

we use the following strategy.

When we buy new hardware, we first try the version the older hardware
is using. If all works, we stick with this version. If there is a
problem, we switch to the most current release. TO make life easier, we
switch all other machines to this version then.

While upgrading FreeBSD, we stick to a branch as long it is supported.
When support stops, we switch to the most current release.

This would mean in your case to stick with 9.x as long as 9 has support
and then switch to 11.x or what else will be the most current release
when support for 9 is stopped.

I never saw any other reason to switch branches. It causes to much
interruptions.

Erich