Updating 800+ pkg's

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 28 19:59:56 UTC 2014

Hi!

On 28 July 2014 01:09, Jamie Griffin <griffin8j at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've waited for the new pkg version, 1.3+ so I can take advantage of it's
> ability to manage package conflicts etc.
>
> Currently, there are hundreds of packages to upgrade including the KDE
> desktop from version 4.10 to 4.12. I am not using using the WITH_NEW_XORG
> set of packages and my OS version is FreeBSD 10 Stable r267006. That will
> be upgraded to r269179 later today though.
>
> I would just like to know a little more about what to expect when I attempt
> to upgrade my packages, e.g. can pkg(8) cope well with this level of
> software upgrade, and should I expect loads of problems? Has anyone else
> been in this situation recently?

Well, the longer you leave package updates, the more likely you'll end
up with hilarity.

I run freebsd-head (i386 and amd64) with binary only packages. After
the great package renaming crap that happened last year and earlier
this year, things have settled down quite significantly. I've not had
any problems since.

So, I'd just say "do it and deal with the fallout." It'll be much
better later. :)

-a