deciding UFS vs ZFS

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Thu Jul 24 00:40:17 UTC 2014

--As of July 24, 2014 12:29:12 AM +0100, RW is alleged to have said:

> Which is why I've found it odd that people have bothered to comment on
> my original statement that I'm not going to do that because it would be
> a bad idea.
>

> My original question started:
>
>  " On a desktop, without raid, I would expect ZFS to make things a lot
>    worse in the case of a disk failure because it would spread the
>    damage around all the directories.
>
>    For that reason I'm putting my desktop user data on ufs/gjournal, but
>    I was wondering about putting the OS on ZFS. ...   "

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Which people (including me) immediately assumed meant 'desktop with one
disk' (because there's no good reason to *not* use RAID or mirroring with
ZFS if you have more than one disk), and couldn't understand what you were
trying to say.  ;)

Especially since usually `/home` is usually it's own partition, or at the
very least `/home/$user` is, so your user data would all get lost with one
partition/disk being lost anyway.  So how keeping that one partition as UFS
makes it so that you'd only lose part of it is extremely unclear.

If you have multiple disks, ZFS with raid/mirroring is nearly *always* a
better choice than UFS, in my opinion.  Exceptions would be things like
dedicated database servers and such, where you have applications basically
constructing their own file systems on top of the OS's file system.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.