freebsd + postgresql

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 13:40:00 UTC 2014

On 07/23/14 14:02, Julien Cigar wrote:
> Any idea if the changes/patches from
> https://www.kib.kiev.ua/kib/pgsql_perf_v2.0.pdf will be merged to
> 10-STABLE soon? We have a rather old PostgreSQL that we would like to
> upgrade soon ..

Those precise patches are unlikely to be committed anywhere, as they are
proof of concept / exploratory stuff only.  However, it's pretty easy to
apply them to 10-STABLE or 10.0-RELEASE sources and compile your own
custom kernel.

Don't believe blindly that these patches will improve performance for
you.  Test against your own workload to be sure.

Best recommendation at the moment is to stick with postgresql-9.2.x --
unless your database is small enough to fit entirely within RAM, in
which case you could well find that upgrading to pg 9.3 makes little
difference to performance.  But, like I said, don't take anyone's word
on it: measure your performance and be certain.

	Cheers,

	Matthew