deciding UFS vs ZFS

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Tue Jul 22 18:16:13 UTC 2014

--As of July 22, 2014 1:33:05 PM +0100, RW is alleged to have said:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 09:23:42 +0100
> krad wrote:
>
>> You seem to be getting away from your initial statement, which you
>> said zfs would make it worse, and journaled ufs. I really dont see
>> this being the case, yes there are scenarios where u will get a
>> screwed pool, but thats the case with any file system.
>
> Would you rather lose a third of your books, or a third of the
> chapters from all your books?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

I'd rather not lose any of it, not even a single period.  Which would mean
a filesystem that can monitor itself for health and integrity, down to the
individual file level, keep backups and changes, and repair itself.  Which
is ZFS.  (Admittedly some of those features aren't likely to be used in a
single-disk pool - but they can be.)

The only real case of 'lose everything' under ZFS is if the disk goes bad -
in which case you'd lose everything under UFS as well, most likely.  If
less than the whole disk goes bad you'll get checksum errors (which might
give you warning the disk is failing), which will tell you what's
happening.  If you aren't keeping backups you might lose the file - but
since the checksum failed you've *already* lost the file.  ZFS is able to
tell you about it, while UFS won't - and will happily let you wreck other
files when you act on the bad data.

So, I really don't see what you are thinking might happen, and why it's an
advantage for UFS.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.