How much swap space for a 32 GB RAM system?

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Tue Jul 22 16:30:56 UTC 2014

On 7/22/2014 12:05 PM, Arthur Chance wrote:
> I'm getting a new machine with 32 GB of memory. The old "twice
> physical memory" sizing seems ridiculous, so how big should I make
> swap? Do I even need swap with this much memory?

That number was always weird and never made much sense. What swap
ultimately comes down to though is you, the user. If you foresee needing
more than 32 gb ram, feel free to add more swap space. If you don't,
maybe 8 gb or so just to be on the safe side. If you really need 32 gb
swap space, I'd recommend just getting more ram, as that will be much,
much faster than thrashing.
HTH,

Take care,
Ty