printcap configuration problem

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Jul 19 15:47:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Polytropon wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 18:44:03 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Polytropon wrote:
>>
>>> This is an example of how I have been working (outside of CUPS),
>>> the /opt/libexec/ps2pcl-dup.sh filter:
>>>
>>> 	#!/bin/sh
>>> 	/usr/bin/printf "\033&k2G" || exit 2
>>> 	/usr/local/bin/gs -q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dPARANOIDSAFER \
>>> 		-dSAFER -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -r600x600 \
>>> 	        -sDEVICE=ljet4d -dDuplex=true \
>>> 	        -sOutputFile=- - && exit 0
>>> 	exit 2
>>>
>>> You can see that I've been using gs (ghostscript) with the options
>>> defining the required paper size (ISO A4) and resolution (600 dpi).
>>> The printer driver used by gs is "ljet4d" which works with the
>>> HP LaserJet 4000 DN I'm still using.
>>
>> The LJ4000 is a PostScript printer.
>
> In fact, it has many personalities, PS is one of them. It also
> handles PCL, and additionally ASCII. Therefore it has a multiple
> personality disorder, but that's actually fine, because each of
> them has its advantage.
>
> Personalities can be selected at the operator panel of the printer.
> Setting AUTO usually causes the correct output to appear.

They can also be selected with PJL, but I agree that Auto usually does
fine.

>> The trick of modifying the incoming
>> PS file to set the page size will be faster.  Here, gs has to build and
>> send a multi-megabyte bitmap.
>
> I found that using PS directly is slower than using gs, but I'm
> going with this solution with just works (TM) for many years now.

It somewhat depends on what generates the PostScript file.  Some
applications render a big bitmap and then convert that to PostScript,
which makes it bigger and loses the resolution-independent advantages.
Real PS programs are usually much smaller than the equivalent bitmaps.

If the printer can handle PCL6, it might be faster that ljet4 (PCL5) due
to bitmap compression.  The gs driver is pxlmono.