Freebsd-update to 9.3 from 9.2

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Jul 18 23:02:02 UTC 2014

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014, Doug Hardie wrote:

> On 18 July 2014, at 14:37, Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:

>>> Then there is no reason to use freebsd-update at at all.

>>> The best thing to do since you need to build world and kernel is to just use
>>> svn and do all updates via source. freebsd-update does nothing for you. Grab a
>>> completely new copy of the 9.3 source with svn and then build and install it.
>>> I'd recommend rolling back to whatever you had before the update before doing so.
>>>
>>> freebsd-version may have been backported to 9 with 9.3. If so, you can use it.
>>> Also, 9.2 kernel with 9.3 world is not likely to be functional since kernels
>>> have no guarantee of forward-compatibility (9.3 kernel and 9.2 world would
>>> probably be fine, though).
>>>

>> svn doesn't work either:
>>
>> svn checkout https://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org/base/release/9.3.0 /usr/src
>>
>> The latest version of UPDATING I get is from 20130705.  The web repository shows the latest entry as 20140716.  I have used FreeBSD since 2.5.4 and it used to be easy to manage.  Now its virtually impossible.  Complete reinstalls on production systems are just not viable.  We need a working way to upgrade.  I haven't found it yet.
>

> I finally deleted all of /usr/src and /usr/obj and ran the above svn
> checkout again.  This time the UPDATING file shows the 20140716 entry.
> I have started building the system again.  We will see what we get
> this time.  Its fascinating to see that in order to upgrade you have
> to delete everything and then reload it all across the internet
> multiple times?

It's not necessary to delete the source every time.  But /usr/src should
be empty before the initial svn checkout, or there will be files in
there that are unmanaged and can cause problems.  The Subversion
instructions mention this.  (Or at least some of them do, we have a fair
amount of similar sections in different chapters and sections that need
to be combined.)