Freebsd-update to 9.3 from 9.2

Andrew Berg aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu
Fri Jul 18 05:59:14 UTC 2014

On 2014.07.18 00:11, Doug Hardie wrote:
> I have a system that has been running 9.2.  To get it to 9.3 I did the usual freebsd-update approach.  Everything appeared to go fine.  When the process completed, uname -a showed 9.3.  Since I need a custom kernel for this system and src is on the system, I then went and did a buildworld and buildkernel.  After booting the new kernel, uname -a now shows 9.2 P10.  I know that there were updates to the src files since freebsd-update listed a bunch of them and the previous kernel was 9.2-P8.  So, what system do I have?  Is this an issue with the version not showing correctly, or did the src directory not get updated properly?
/usr/src still had 9.2 (and BTW, building world is not necessary for a custom
kernel). I'm not surprised that freebsd-update didn't update source to 9.3
since it's on a different branch, but it sounds like freebsd-update updated
source to the latest version of RELENG for 9.2 even though you told it to
update to 9.3. If that is the case, it's a bug and you should file a PR.