deciding UFS vs ZFS

Joseph Mingrone jrm at ftfl.ca
Mon Jul 14 01:34:21 UTC 2014

Andrew Berg <aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu> writes:
> On 2014.07.13 18:14, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>> use UFS as long as you are working with a single disk and ZFS the
>> moment you have more than one disk.

> Checksumming and the COW features make ZFS quite attractive for single-device
> pools as well.

Off the top of my head, there is also on-the-fly compression, snapshots
and boot environments.  The way pools/datasets don't require you to
decide how much space is allocated for a dataset at creation time is
nice.  I am happy I chose ZFS for my laptop with 8 GiB of ram and a
single SSD.  It works very well, just like our compute node with 256 GiB
of ram, 48 cores connected to a 40-disk chassis.

The way I think about it is more this way: "When can't I run ZFS?".  The
answer is when system resources simply don't allow it.

Joseph