Reconfiguring a package and other questions.

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Thu Jul 10 02:01:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 10:03:48 -0400
rvclayton at acm.org (R. Clayton) wrote:

> it as a port with appropriate configuration.  This works, but raises

you said it. You did some configuration. A packages always comes with
the default configuration of the port.

> the question of consistency between ports and packages.  What is the
> relation between the software in ports and the software in packages?
> Have I just introduced an error (or potential for error) that will
> come back and bite me hard six months after I've forgotten what I've
> done?

The moment you have to use a single port with your specific
configuration, I would recommend to use the ports for all the software
you need.

If you can run a system which matches 100% the defaults, you can stick
with the packages or the effort to find out of the consequences will
exceed the effort to use ports. This made me to stick with ports since
many, many years. Even if I install sometimes a machine with the
packages, I move it later always to the ports.

Erich