The name "grep"

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jul 7 05:54:53 UTC 2014

Sometimes I get a "nostalgic seizure", and when I do so, I read
one of my older books (which I have plenty of to choose from).
Yesterday's choice was "Keine Angst for UNIX" (no fear of UNIX)
by Christine Wolfinger, published 1991 by VDI Verlag Duesseldorf.
On page 173 I read something that I hadn't noticed yet (translated):

	grep:
	global regular expression print
	(combination of an editor command)

So today I checked "man grep", but it doesn't mention it. Therefore
here are my questions, primarily aiming at "UNIX dinosaurs" and
historians on list - because you probably need to be either old
or interested in UNIX history in order to provide a substantial
opinion. :-)

1. Is the mentioned interpretation correct or at least acceptable?

2. Should the manpage mention it?

In my opinion, "print lines matching a pattern" describes what
grep does, but not really what it means (or where the name of
the command comes from). Other manpages explain the name of the
command or provide background information so you can understand
why the particular name has been chosen, for example:

	sed = (s)tream (e)ditor (section NAME)
	tar = manipulate (t)ape (ar)chives (section NAME)
	awk = (A)ho, (W)einberger, (K)ernighan (section SEE ALSO)
	dd = copy and convert (cc was taken by C compiler, but
	     not mentioned in the manpage; "common knowledge")
	vi = visual editor (in contrast to ex; not mentioned)

Should "man grep" contain a hint about "global regular expression
print" or something similar?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany