Images in freebsd-doc

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Sun Jul 6 04:15:35 UTC 2014

Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> writes:

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2014, Carl Johnson wrote:
>
>> I usually prefer to use local documentation, so I have the
>> en-freebsd-doc package installed (the freebsd-doc-en port).  My browser
>> doesn't show any images and it turns out that they have really screwy
>> paths to those images.  For example, the image for figure 2.4 in section
>> 2.5.1 is (warning: *long* line)
>> 'file:///wrkdirs/usr/ports/misc/freebsd-doc-en/work/doc/share/images/books/handbook/bsdinstall/bsdinstall-keymap-select-default.png.
>> The actual path for the image is
>> file:///usr/local/share/doc/freebsd/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall/bsdinstall-keymap-select-default.png,
>> but the relative location is just
>> bsdinstall/bsdinstall-keymap-select-default.png.
>>
>> Is there a reason for using that kind of path for the image when the
>> installed path isn't remotely like that?  Should I munge apache to
>> somehow get to that path, or should I file a PR to try to get something
>> reasonable?
>
> When I build that port, the image link points (correctly) to
> file:///usr/local/share/doc/freebsd/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall/bsdinstall-keymap-select-default.png
>
> What options are set for the port?  I tried only HTML and HTML-SPLIT.
>
> Could you have an entry in /etc/make.conf that is interfering?  Maybe
> NO_STAGE, or some non-default directory for building or installing?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I installed from the package.  It
was the latest as of today and 'pkg info' shows:
------------
$ pkg info en-freebsd-doc
en-freebsd-doc-45106,1
Name           : en-freebsd-doc
Version        : 45106,1
Installed on   : Sat Jul  5 10:31:47 PDT 2014
Origin         : misc/freebsd-doc-en
Architecture   : freebsd:10:x86:64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : misc docs
Maintainer     : doceng at FreeBSD.org
WWW            : UNKNOWN
Comment        : Documentation from the FreeBSD Documentation Project
Options        :
        HTML           : on
        HTML_SPLIT     : on
        PDF            : on
        PS             : on
        TXT            : on
Flat size      : 89.3MiB
Description    :
The whole documentation set from the FreeBSD Documentation Project:
Handbook, FAQ, articles and more.

It has also been this way for several months and I had been hoping that
it was something that would be fixed soon.

Thanks for the response.
Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org