Security Warning

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 3 10:30:06 UTC 2014

On 07/03/14 10:57, Jerry wrote:
> Thu, 3 Jul 2014 05:55:05 -0400
>
> FreeBSD-10 / amd64
>
> Every morning I receive a security email with the following notations:
>
> Checking setuid files and devices:
> find: /usr/share/groff_font/devX100/CI: Bad file descriptor
> find: /usr/share/groff_font/devX100/S: Bad file descriptor
>
> Checking negative group permissions:
> find: /usr/share/groff_font/devX100/CI: Bad file descriptor
> find: /usr/share/groff_font/devX100/S: Bad file descriptor
>
> Is there something seriously wrong here, or can I safely ignore it?

What do you see if you try and read the contents of those files?  Smells
like a filesystem problem to me, in which case you should unmount that
partition (given it's /usr that implies taking the system down to single
user mode) and run fsck against it repeatedly until fsck tells you the
filesystem is clean.

I'm assuming this is a UFS system -- if it's ZFS then none of the above
applies, but also, you probably wouldn't see an error like that either.

	Cheers,

	Matthew