ntfs-3g, cp and 'Bad address' errors

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 19:24:45 UTC 2014

I'm getting weird things happening when I use cp -a to copy files from
an ntfs volume to zfs. On a few files I'm seeing:

cp: /data/<snip>avi: Bad address

(This is the destination file name)

I'm also getting some like:

cp: sourcename<snip>avi: Permission denied

These are, so far, weird files - sometimes in the Windows recycle bin;
sometimes files originating on a Macintosh and uncompressed to the ntfs
volume on a Windows box - particularly the "Bad Address" version. I
don't mind permission denied.

Although it's affected less than 1% of the files, and I don't care about
them, I still want to know what's going on.  I assume that something is
passing back an EFAULT (error 14) and decoding it using libc. EFAULT is
defined as:

Bad address.  The system detected an invalid address in attempting to
use an argument of a call.

Having trawled through the source the only place an error message in
this format could come from is seems to be directory searching code in
cp.c, which doesn't make a lot of sense (around like 285 in 10.0-RELEASE).

I don't even know whether to blame ZFS or ntfs-3g, although EFAULT
errors have been noted as a problem with the latter in other posts
questioning its reliability.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks, Frank.