Why was nslookup removed from FreeBSD 10?

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Wed Jan 29 23:26:20 UTC 2014

Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> Unbelievable, but true - someone somewhere thought that removing
> nslookup from the base system was the way to go.
>
> Why? Can anyone shed any light on how this decision was made?
>
> That's the question. The remainder are a few observations to save an
> obvious response...
>
> nslookup has been deprecated in some quarters for while now, with that
> annoying message asking people to use dig instead, although ISC changed
> its mind on this point after BIND 9.8. That's not a reason, and anyway,
> dig is missing too.
>
> Was it dropped because it's part on BIND, and that's been dropped from
> the base system (bad idea if you ask me, but no one did)? Well, as far
> as I can tell, this move has left us having to use "host" instead, and
> that's part of the BIND package too.
>
> What's next? Will someone get the bright idea that "ls" is a bit dated
> and/or unfamiliar to Microsofties and replace it with "dir"? (And EVEN
> WINDOWS has nslookup).
>
> If I wanted an OS that lacked features such as DNS out of the box, I'd
> have chosen Linux.
>
> Regards, Frank.

Aloha Frank,

FWIW:
I just had to use nslookup and dig.
I am working on moving a DNS for a mail server from an ATM setup to
inside of a lan with a public IP from my ISP.

Both tools are what Zone Edit uses on their servers. So I am going to
add the /usr/ports/dns/bind-tools when I replace my current Desktop BSD
boxes to FreeBSD10.

AL :)

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +