how to upgrade from i386-9.0 to amd64/9.x

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 28 20:42:52 UTC 2014

On 28/01/2014 16:02, Doug Eastick wrote:
> Hi, I am currently running the following i386 9.0 on my firewall system.
>

> FreeBSD jessie.mcd.on.ca 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:15:25 UTC 2012     root at obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> I need to upgrade to 9.1 or 9.2 or higher but I'd also like to switch over to amd64 as
> my install of i386 was a stupid mistake 2 years ago :-).
>
> tips on how to install /upgrade please?   Will the installer of amd64/9.2 notice my existing system?

Re-install your system using the amd64 installation media.  Simple as that.

You should back up anything you want to keep onto removable media or a
different machine and plan on completely wiping out your current setup.
  Even if you ultimately manage to preserve some parts of the current
system, better to be prepared in case anihilation is the (desired or
not) outcome.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--