Webcam in-built microphone problem

James Griffin jmzgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:12:45 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-28, Maciej Milewski <milu at dat.pl> wrote:
> On 28.01.2014 14:48, James Griffin wrote:
>> On 2014-01-28, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
>>
>>> What does
>>>
>>> # cat /dev/sndstat show?
>> Installed devices:
>> pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1882 (Analog)> (play/rec) default
>> pcm1: <Analog Devices AD1882 (Front Analog Headphones)> (play)
>> pcm2: <USB audio> (rec)
> And do you have more than one mixer device?
> ls /dev/mixer*
>
> And check which device is recording input. Currently you have CD set as
> recording device(I think that's default) and you probably should have
> rec(or mic).
>
> Maciej

Hi Maciej,

There are 3 mixer devices:

/usr/home/jmz % ls /dev/mixer*
/dev/mixer0 /dev/mixer1 /dev/mixer2

I have set the rec device; $mixer =rec mic

Looking again at the output for `cat /dev/sndstat` perhaps this should
be set to rec (pcm2: <USB audio> (rec)) as the webcam is usb peripheral?
I will try both to see. Does this sound correct to you?