[freebsd-questions] Re: [freebsd-questions] Re: [freebsd-questions] Re: weird error messages with various ports

nano nanotek at bsdbox.co
Tue Jan 28 09:35:40 UTC 2014

On 28/01/2014 8:24 PM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 09:49:35 +0100
> _1126 <lists at elfsechsundzwanzig.de> wrote:
>

>> I can see why a ports tree that is being checked out with svn instead
>> of being updated with portsnap might be a wise choice, but I'm not
>> quite sure if I understand correctly what the abilities of portupgrade
>> are that portmaster lacks? Do you want to elaborate on that? ;)
>
> portupgrade never left an un-usable machine after an upgrade for me. As
> such, I have no reason to look for any other tool.
>
> Erich

It's left my machine unserviceable a couple times too.

Portmaster bails out mid-upgrade if it can't build one port, sometimes
leaving apps broken if only so many dependencies are upgraded or if
Portmaster deletes a package before realizing it can't build the upgrade.

At least portupgrade carries on building what can be built and has a
couple extra functions that Portmaster lacks, which adds to its appeal.

I used to prefer Portmaster for the --packages-build option, which is
incompatible with pkgng, so I think I'll move to portupgrade.

--
bsdbox.co