ps problem

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Jan 26 20:41:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014, Gary Aitken wrote:

> I'm trying to debug a duplex printing issue with my printer.
> I've got cups installed.

Gah.  That might introduce other problems, I don't know.

> 1.0 setgray

1.0 is white, 0 is black.

> /Times-Roman findfont
> 60 scalefont
> setfont
> newpath
> 100 200 moveto
> (This is page (1).)

The paren operator defines a string.  Also, escaping parens inside the
string with a backslash is a good idea. But after defining a string, it
just sits on the stack unless you draw it to the page with show:

   (This is page \(1\).) show

After drawing everything on a page, the showpage operator prints the
page, and then you can begin on the second page, which should also be
followed by a showpage.

ps2pdf from ghostscript is handy for debugging without burning through
paper.