Why was nslookup removed from FreeBSD 10?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sun Jan 26 14:25:54 UTC 2014

> There must be a discussion about how the decision was taken somewhere,
> mustn't there? If there isn't, its looking like an accident.
>
> Regards, Frank.

Hi Frank & questions@,
There were discussions.  Nslookup was treated as a corollary of
removing bind from src/ to ports/. To find discussions search archives
with word bind in subject headers, (better than keyword nslookup or named).
I recall archives to search as current@ or stable@ freebsd.org.

The rationale for bind removal from src/ I thought ill advised; it won't
suprise me if FreeBSD gets roasted for no longer being net server ready.

Complaints or calls for review should go to <arch at freebsd.org>.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Interleave replies below like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".