Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jan 26 04:53:48 UTC 2014

*** re-including the list, hope that's okay ***

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 20:25:25 -0800, M V wrote:
> well thanks for clearing things up for me i did not know i was
> downloading a server ISO

You are wrong. FreeBSD is not a "server OS" with the meaning
that it is for _server only_. As I said, it's a multi-purpose
OS, and this is reflected by how the installation media works.
They can be used to install on a server, but the same (!) media,
for example the CD #1, will install a graphical workstation.
For example, the laptops and PCs I'm running at home have
been installed using that particular CD #1. By looking at
my desktop (on screen) the initial text mode operations to
install the OS can't be seen anymore. :-)

> what is confusing to me is that it asked if i
> wanted to run from live cd i assumed it would boot into graphics ??

No, the live system CD does not include X. It's primarily
intended for performing system repair, recovery preparation
or other kind of maintenance operations.

But there are FreeBSD-derived systems that do. A famous example
is FreeSBIE, but I think it isn't being maintained actively
anymore. It is a live CD that boots into a GUI desktop environ-
ment.

http://www.freesbie.org/

The latest version is based on FreeBSD 6, which isn't actively
supported anymore. Still it will boot fine on your Dell laptop.
Even FreeSBIE 1.1 (using FreeBSD 5) will. I have tried it. :-)

> any
> way i am downloading the pcbsd now i hope that i will be able to create
> a dial up connection using this distro

That should work without problems. I've been using dial-up
Internet via PPP many years ago.

> for the life of me i have never
> been able to get clear commands on how to enable the modem and configure
> connection i have gotten better with linux commands but for some reason
> i can never get clear command info on how to create a dial up connection

You should have a look at the ppp utility. PC-BSD includes
a "dialing manager" that lets you control the modem and
manage connections.

Also see the relevant chapter in The FreeBSD Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ppp-and-slip.html

You can choose to automatically have the system dial, or
dial manually if you prefer to have more control over your
connection time and manner.

PPPoE is also supported and works very nicely. Connections
can be started right with the system startup. I've also been
using that way to get online some years ago.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany