coretemp0: critical temperature detected, suggest system shutdown

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Sat Jan 25 03:54:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 25 Jan 2014 03:15:36 -0000
"John Levine" <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> >the problem is that the temperatures did not change. Only the message
> >appeared. The idle machine is still around 50 to 60 and a loaded
> >machine is still 96, all in Celsius. As I live in the tropics, these
> >temperatures are perfectly normal.
>
> I expect that the thermocouple that measures the temperature has aged
> and is reporting higher temperatures.  Before assuming that, I would
> check that you don't have dust clogging the vents or otherwise
> impaired airflow.

An example:

hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 60.0C

This is perfectly normal under the conditions here and I get these
values since I have this machine.

> Look at the man page for acpi_thermal to change the temperature
> warnings.

The warning level is set to -1. So, there should be no warning. The
temperature level for shutting down is set to 99 degrees. This value is
never reached and the machine also never shuts down.

> My laptop was shutting down from overtemperature until I realized that
> I had placed it next to something that was blocking the fan vent.

I placed the machine the same as it runs for at least 3 months now. As
I have said before, the temperature shown are the same as before. Just
the warning comes up when the machine is loaded.

Erich