restoresymtable after dump and restore

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jan 22 07:44:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 12:59:31 +0530, eras mus wrote:
> But in my /home  folder i have a restoresymtable of size 33968468
> and that partition is 101% full.

Note that /home is a directory, not a "folder". This hint is
just about proper terminology. :-)

> Does this file(restoresymtable) has any significance?
> Could i remove it by rm -rf ?
> Will removing of the file cause any harm?

This file is a remains from running the restore program. It should
be safe to remove it. Its creation is usually caused by the -r option
of restore (see "man restore" for details).

>From the manpage:

Note that restore leaves a file restoresymtable in the root
directory to pass information between incremental restore passes.
This file should be removed when the last incremental has been
restored.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany