FreeBSD and Linux shared installation

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jan 21 11:03:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:31:52 +0000, krad wrote:
> if you want data exchange, you might be better going for nfs or cifs rather
> than trying to keep it on disk. All of the issues with fs support then go
> away, and you can keep each os install atomic

If I would need this for larger amounts of data, NFS would definitely
be my choice. I already _know_ that it works because I have tried it
in the past. But the requirement is "network-less", and only for
small amounts of data, just in case I want to access something from
all installed operating systems, or want something created on one
OS make accessible on the other OS. It's not even about a shared
home directory. Also it's not about simultaneous access, because
only one OS will run at a time.

The primary intention is that it should be r/w from all systems
with the simplest means possible. I'm not sure in how far Linux
supports UFS (either as a partition inside a slice, or as a GPT
partition, or as a "slice on its own"), that's why I thought the
best choice would be the lowest Linux file system (ext2), because
FreeBSD can read and write this with OS tools (fuse not required).
So the "means of sharing or transfer" can be kept on the same
disk (installed in the laptop) and does not require something
specific. It's really not meant for big amounts of data, it's
a "just in case" concept.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany