pkg install: what is the "first" repository?

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Fri Jan 17 04:04:41 UTC 2014

From the pkg man page:
     install
             Install a package from a remote package repository.  If a package
             is found in more than one remote repository, then installation
             happens from the first one.  Downloading a package is tried from
             each package repository in turn, until the package is success-
             fully fetched.

What is pkg's definition of "first"?

I have a single file in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/ which lists two local repositories.  'vim' exists in the first one in that file.  All of vim's dependencies are available from that repo.  Some of its dependencies exist in both, since they're required by things available from both repositories.

For the dependencies that exist in both, pkg is trying to grab them from the second repository in that file.  I'm trying to figure out why, so I can make it stop.

Thanks.