Server hang : MBR installation after dump and restore on new hard disk

eras mus erasmu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 11:56:40 UTC 2014

Dear List,

Thank you all for the help. I understood that the old hard disk is dying.
I booted with a FreeBSD Live CD with the new hard disk.
Now it detected the old hard disk as /dev/ad4 and new one as /dev/ad7.

Then using sysinstall  did slicing and partitioning on the new hard
disk(ad7).
Then dump and restore performed on all the partitions of the old hard disk
to the new hard disk partitions.

(I understood that the old disk's /usr partition has bad sectors and the
data is not in a consistent state. I have backups of /usr of the old disk
so i can manage the data later.)

After performing dump and restore to the new hard disk, I edited the
/etc/fstab
of the root partition so that it will update the /etc/fstab for the new
hard disk partitions(ad7s1a,ad7s1d,ad7s1f ..... instead of the ad4 entries
in the /etc/fstab)

Now when i try to boot the machine with both the hard disks as attached.
It is showing as below

F1 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 1

When i select F5 it is going to a GRUB prompt of the new hard disk
 ,Because it already had a linux installation before doing the dump and
restore operation.

As per my understanding FreeBSD  Boot Manager is not installed for the new
hard disk. Am I right?
.
How to fix this?
I tried to install MBR using sysinstal to the new hard disk after all these
dump and restore operations . But got message Error Cannot write to the
disk ad7  100% full.

Is it possible to install FreeBSD Boot Manager over the old GRUB of the new
hard disk which is having all the restored partitions of the old disk.

Please shed some light on this.