Recommended Wireless card for laptops?

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 13 20:35:05 UTC 2014

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 06:28:32 -0600
Don Harper <duck at duckland.org> wrote:

> All of my laptops currently have the Intel Corporation Centrino
> Advanced-N 6235 wireless card which is not supported under FreeBSD at
> this time without patching the kernel, so I decided to simply replace
> the wifi cards since it is cheap enough to do that, but I am looking
> for suggestions.

> Which card are you using, and how well do you like it?

I use Hiro H50191 USB-stick wifi adapter, and it works on FreeBSD 10-prerelease and 11-HEAD but not 9.2-STABLE.

What I use it on is a desktop, not a laptop, where re(4) recognizes but can't connect with on-motherboard (MSI Z77 MPOWER) Ethernet.

You would add a line to kernel config

device rsu

Web site is www.hiroinc.com

I ordered this wifi adapter from tigerdirect.com, and it is one of their more popular.

In all likelihood, other online vendors also carry it.

Tom