Can you switch from CLang back to gcc in FreeBSD 10.0

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Wed Jan 8 23:37:23 UTC 2014

On 08/01/2014 22:58, RW wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 20:46:22 +0000
> Frank Leonhardt wrote:
>
>> I've been dreading this for over a year now.
> Any particular reason why you have to build the base system with gcc?
>
>> It's going to reach
>> critical soon. FreeBSD 10 is dropping gcc in favour of Clang
>
> I don't think that's quite true:
>

>    <http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2013-September/044313.html>

As I understand it (and I haven't tried it, hence my question), all that
does is build gcc along with the other stuff. It doesn't make gcc the
default (only) compiler. Sean's editing of /etc/make.conf goes some way
- or even hacking sys.mk. However, /usr/bin/cc wouldn't be linked to gcc
for a start, and there will be much more besides. I was hoping someone
might have script for fixing it all up.

I don't necessarily want to build everything using gcc. I'd be just
happy with pcc instead. It's just a personal preference which I'd be
happy to discuss off-list, but won't get in to as language arguments eat
bandwidth.

Regards, Frank.