Using pkgng, but building some ports with custom options

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Wed Jan 8 05:36:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 14:49:26 +0100
John Rogers <microsparc64 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm looking into switching to using pkgng once FreeBSD 10 is released.
> I must say that I'm very impressed so far after playing around with
> it, but I have run into a question that I have been unable to find the
> answer to. Is it possible to use pkg install from pkg.FreeBSD.org for
> most packages, use portmaster locally for some packages when I want to
> use custom build options and have it all work well together?
>
> A typical scenario that I want to avoid is that I have a custom built
> installation of port A. Then one day the package is updated to a new
> version on pkg.FreeBSD.org, which overwrites my local install when I
> run pkg upgrade.

	Yes this is possible - I use poudriere to maintain a local
repository of a handful of packages with custom build options and/or
patches while getting the rest from the freebsd.org servers. My poudriere
setup publishes the packages through a thttpd server running on localweb.

	I set it up like this:

/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
------------------------------
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.eu.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
  mirror_type: "srv",
  enabled: YES
}
------------------------------

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/local.conf
  enabled: YES
}

	The final part is to use

pkg annotate $pkg repository local

	For every package where the local version must be used, this
ensures that I will never pick up those packages from any other repository,

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>