pkgng woes

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 7 22:25:50 UTC 2014

On 07/01/2014 22:14, Matthew Pounsett wrote:

> On 2014-01-07, at 17:08 , Patrick <gibblertron at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to move to pkgng on some 9.2 systems, and I'm having a hard
>> time finding some working examples of the configuration files one
>> would need to pull in packages from the official FreeBSD package
>> servers. Is there something obvious I'm missing?
>
> I'm running it on a fresh 9.2-RELEASE system with no special configuration at all.  I'm using the default pkg.conf:
>
> # cat /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf
> packagesite: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest
>
> # pkg
> The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
> Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
> Bootstrapping pkg please wait
> _http._tcp.pkg.FreeBSD.org
> Installing pkg-1.2.4_1... done
> […]
>
> You get some instructions that are important if you've been using the old ports system, and then you're ready to use it.
>
> I am getting warnings about the use of PACKAGESITE in the default config, but it works.

That's because you're using some out of date settings.  What you need is
the following:

  1) /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf -- you only need this to override global
settings.  Most people should *remove* this file.  If you do keep it, do
not define packagesite in here.

  2) Instead, you need a repository specific config file.  This is the
default config for using pkg.freebsd.org (see:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf?view=markup) --

FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
  mirror_type: "srv",
  signature_type: "fingerprints",
  fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
  enabled: yes
}

Save that as /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

  3) You also need the package signing keys from here:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/share/keys/pkg/trusted/pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301?revision=257344&view=markup

If you want to set up your own repo, then read pkg.conf(5), which
describes the pre-repo config files too.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.