Matthew Szubrycht matts at lampscaled.net
Mon Jan 6 14:49:05 UTC 2014

On Jan 6, 2014, at 2:11 AM, Frank Leonhardt wrote:

> On 06/01/2014 09:48, eras mus wrote:
>> After a few minutes the sever
>> console be pinged or ssh. In server console also the machine hungs unable
>> to enter root password in the prompt. If I do a power restart it is
>> restarting up again and I can ssh also login from the console, but after
>> few minutes it hungs no ssh and pinging from LAN machine not possible. How
>> to trouble shoot, Please shed some light on it.
>
> This sounds like a hardware problem. Do a proper RAM test if you can. If this is okay, look at disk problems and if these are okay it is probably a fault on the CPU or motherboard.
>
> If you are worried it is a problem with your FreeBSD configuration, start the machine from a LiveCD (or memory stick) and see if this is stable, although this will not show up problems with the disk so easily.
>
> Regards, Frank

I have experienced a similar problem a while back - the server would run normally, then drop off the network for a random period of time, from a few minutes to several hours.  When I took a machine that had dropped off the network on a console, there were no message of any kind indicating any issues, the networking stack looked normal, but ping would not get out of the box, just time out.  The machines were brand new Dells, with 8.1-RELEASE amd64 installed on them.  Tracked it down to the Broadcom (bce) NICs.  Once swapped for Intel (igb) cards, the problem went away.  That was not the first problem I had with bce network cards.
If you use Broadcom NIC, try swapping it for a different brand and see if the problem persists.

Cheers,
Matt

--
Matt Szubrycht

"If 386BSD had been available when I started on Linux, Linux would probably never had happened." - Linus Torvalds