uname -r: release level

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 18:14:31 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankevitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> By what mechanism does "uname -r" determine my "release level"?

Some follow-up questions:

- What is the term that people use in conversation for the
"freebsd-update version number" (e.g. 9.2-RELEASE-p2)

- What is the term that people use in conversation for the "sysctl
kern.osrelease version number" (e.g. 9.2-RELEASE) reported by uname?

- How can I determine which "freebsd-update version number" I am running?

- Is it possible for two computers to have the same "world" but
different "freebsd-update" version numbers?  For example when
comparing an up-to-date 9.2-RC1 machine to an up-to-date 9.2-RELEASE
machine?

- When freebsd-update modifies the kernel in response to a security
advisory, does the "sysctl kern.osrelease version number" change?  If
so, does the "sysctl kern.osrelease version number" then match the
"freebsd-update version number"?

- Are there other version numbers that describe the "FreeBSD Version"
that I am running?

Thank you!

Chris