updating /sys/sys

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Wed Jan 1 03:48:07 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 19:05:53 -0700
Gary Aitken <freebsd at dreamchaser.org> wrote:

> I just used freebsd-update to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2.
> Everything seemed to go properly,
> but if I look at /sys/sys
> all of the .h files say something like:
>    * $FreeBSD: release/9.0.0/sys/sys/cons.h 196506 2009-08-24
> 10:53:30Z ed $
>
> /etc/freebsd-update looks like:

>   Components src world kernel
>   IgnorePaths
>
> Why aren't they updated?

why should they? They define the 'interface' to the implementation. It
is most important that these interfaces do change as little as possible
especially in a STABLE version.

They can change when you update to 10 and they can change all the while
on CURRENT but not on RELEASE versions like 8 and 9.

> What's the best way to get them updated?

You should have the current version if nothing is mentioned in UPDATING.

Erich