FreeBSD 10 reboots every day at 4:00 am

Philipp Schmid lists at schmidp.com
Tue Feb 25 18:21:15 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have a problem with my FreeBSD 10 installation.
It reboots or crashes everyday at around 4:00 am.

The last log entry in /var/logs/all.log is:

Feb 25 04:00:00 rna /usr/sbin/cron[14974]: (root) CMD (/usr/libexec/atrun)
Feb 25 04:01:00 rna /usr/sbin/cron[14996]: (root) CMD (adjkerntz -a)
Feb 25 08:50:12 rna syslogd: restart
Feb 25 08:50:12 rna syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel

I already tried manually running adjkerntz -a to see if that is the problem, but that does not seem to be the case as the command runs fine.

The setup uses ZFS on an ecrypted geli device and swap is on a graid mirror on top of a encrypted geli device, so the kernel cannot write a kernel crash dump.

Is a reboot the normal behaviour if the kernel crashes?
Can I reconfigure it somehow to stop on a crash and print some debug information to the console?

I’m relatively new to FreeBSD and would be happy for any pointers in the right direction on how to find the cause of the reboot.

Thank you,

	Philipp