gptids are not symlinks to /dev/da*

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 21:50:51 UTC 2014

Warren,

Thank you for your reply.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> Not device name, but a label.  Although the correct one should work in place
> of a device name.  I use GPT partition labels, but have never bothered with
> the GUIDs.

> Generated when the structure is created, I think.

Now I just need to find out what is "GPT patition label", a "GUID",
and "structure creation"!  I will read glabel(8) and see if that
clears it up for me.

> smartctl wants a device, but GPTIDs refer to partitions.

Okay, although I am a bit surprised to hear that a GPTID refers to a
partition.  I'm using FreeNAS and I thought I instructed the zpool to
consist entirely of unpatitioned disks.  I gather that FreeNAS is,
somewhere in the process, creating partitions which triggers
"structure creation" which creates unique GPTIDs.

Thank you again,

Chris