FreeBSD 10 iSCSI Performance/Best Practices

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Sun Feb 23 19:25:28 UTC 2014

I have been searching but I haven't been able to find very much
information on FreeBSD 10s new iSCSI setup in the way of performance
tuning.  I have an iSCSI target defined and am connecting to it with my
Windows 8.1 workstation.  But performance is horrible, 5-10M per second.
  I can actually write to a Samba share on the same server from the
workstation at 30-50M per second, so something is definitely not working
optimally on the iSCSI side.  This is all running on commodity hardware,
so I don't expect lightening fast results, but I would expect to see it
faster than the Samba share by about the same magnitude that it is
running slower.

the settings are very basic.

auth-group Workstation {
   chap iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:workstation.dweimer.local ??????
}

portal-group WorkstationISCSI {
   discovery-auth-group Workstation
   listen 0.0.0.0
   listen [::]
}

target iqn.2012-06.com.webmail:WorkstationDriveD {
   auth-group Workstation
   portal-group WorkstationISCSI
   lun 0 {
     path /dev/zvol/iscsi/WorkstationDriveD.0
   }
}

the server is a VMware ESXi5.5 guest, the samba share and the iscsi zvol
are on different virtual disk volumes but both are on the the same
physical disks, on the ESX system.

I looked at systat -vmstat, and everything looks just about idle on the
server.

the network is all 1G, with jumbo frames enabled.

I am assuming that I need to tune a settings somewhere to get this
running at an acceptable speed, but I am unsure where to start.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer