ZFS on Hardware RAID controller

freebsd at fongaboo.com freebsd at fongaboo.com
Wed Feb 19 03:58:49 UTC 2014

I was speaking to someone else about this today, and it eventually became
apparent that we were getting into a sort-of
Abbott-and-Costello-Who's-on-First confusion... because apparently people
can mean different things when they use the term 'JBOD'.

What I have always meant when I say 'JBOD' is a (not really) RAID mode
that simply concatenates the drives into one volume in a serial fashion,
ie. 'spanning'. Most RAID controllers and RAID-enabled NAS units that I
have interacted with in my life have offered this mode and referred to it
as 'JBOD'.

In this kind of mode, the motherboard and the OS still thinks it sees only
a single volume. So now I am gathering that this is also not ideal for
ZFS, since it would still not be aware of multiple physical volumes and be
unable to optimize accordingly.

I'm learning for the first time that sometimes 'JBOD' can also refer to
each individual drive being mounted separately at least as far as the
controller and the motherboard is concerned.

I just want to confirm 100% that this is how you are recommending multiple
drives be configured for ZFS. Because when I started the thread I was
thinking of JBOD as 'spanning'.

FONG