Dropbox on FreeBSD

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Mon Feb 17 04:41:57 UTC 2014

--As of February 15, 2014 3:02:13 PM -0500, Robert Simmons is alleged to
have said:

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 7:08 AM, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>> I use Dropbox and Windows SkyDrive, soon to be renamed OneDrive,
>> extensively. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a version
>> available for FreeBSD. These are listed on the site:
>>
>> Ubuntu (.deb)           64-bit          32-bit
>> Fedora (.rpm)           64-bit          32-bit
>> Debian (.deb)           64-bit          32-bit
>> Compile from source
>>
>> there are a few "Dropbox" ports; however, I am looking for something that
>> works the same way across different platforms; ie Windows and FreeBSD. Do
>> the Dropbox ports do that? If not, has anyone tried to use one of the
>> "Dropbox" distributions on FreeBSD?
>
> Another option would be to add Sparkleshare to the ports collection:
>
> http://www.sparkleshare.net/
>
> https://github.com/hbons/SparkleShare

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Owncloud - already in the ports collection - would be an option too.  It
has more features than just folder sync, but you can ignore them if you
want.  ;)  (For that matter, you could run rsync to get the same effect...
On ZFS with snapshots if you want to be able to roll back.)

But either of these would require running a server someplace.  I'm not sure
what commercial solutions there are that have a FreeBSD client.  (Hmm.  A
private project on Github?)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.